17 – ORATORY OF DEATH

This post is also available in: itItaliano (Italian)

The Oratorio della Morte (Oratory of Death), erected in the 16th century, was built as the seat of the Confraternity of Death. Bartolomeo Ammannati, a Florentine sculptor, created the great ashlared stone portal of the Oratorio. The main alter of the structure is rectangularand houses the renowned Crucifixion by Federico Barocci (1535-1612), commissioned by the Confraternity at the end of the 16th century.